Quick Links

Contact Information

Traffic Infractions
(904) 548 - 4608
Fax: (904) 548 - 4519




A Civil traffic infraction is a non-criminal violation, not punishable by jail and which usually can be disposed of by payment of a civil penalty or election to attend a defensive driving course. A court appearance is not required, except in cases where the violation involves an accident with serious bodily injury or a fatality, violations of leaving a child in a vehicle unattended, or littering. Payment can be made by mail, using the envelope provided by the officer, or in person at the Clerk's Office in the county in which the infraction occurred.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Does Nassau County Give Extensions on Traffic Citations?
No. We do however, offer a payment plan that is set up on a contractual basis with a fee of $25.00 (twentyfive dollars) payable at the time the contract is set up. This must be done within your 30 day time to pay. Read the Payment Agreement or view the Payment Schedule.

Can Payment of Civil Infractions be made with a personal check?
Yes, but only if your account is drawn on a Florida bank and your name and address is preprinted on the front of the check.

Can I obtain an affidavit to go to defensive driving school in Nassau County if my ticket was issued in another county?
Yes, you can come to the Nassau County Courthouse in Yulee or any branch office and obtain the affidavit. The charge is $4.00. You must bring a copy of the ticket with you.

Does going to defensive driving school keep the citation off my driving record?
No. The citation will show on your record, but will show a Clerk's withhold. This means no points will be assessed.

How can I find out how many points I have on my driving record?
By contacting the driver license Bureau ( at 904-225-8947

How are points assessed in the state of Florida?
Per F.S. 322.37, when people accumulate too many points on their driving record in a set period of time, their driving privilege is automatically suspended for a set period of time:

What type of violations accumulate how many points?

How long do points remain against my driving record?
Points stay on your record and are counted against you for 3 years ( Insurance record only )

Can I elect to attend defensive driving school after having paid my citation?
No. Once you pay for your citation, you have made your one election for that violation. If you wish to attend school, you should inform the cashier before the time you pay.

Does attending defensive driving school keep my insurance rates down?
It is up to the individual insurance company as to whether going to school will keep your rates down. It is best to contact your insurance company if you are unsure.

Does Nassau County accept partial payments on civil infractions?
At the present time, partial payments are accepted in Nassau County with contract.

View the contract and Payment Schedule. For more information on partial payment, please call (904) 548-4600.

Does Nassau County accept payment for citations issued in other counties?
No. Nassau County can only accept payments on citations issued within Nassau County.